View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

CookieJewel HB User
New to Exercise, want to do it right!

I'm a female, six months away from my 50th birthday, and I have always hated exercise. I am officially about 60 lbs overweight since I'm 5'2" and weigh 178, but I wear size 8-10 pants and XL shirts. I'm very busty, and carry most of my weight in my arms, back, upper torso. Your basic linebacker build. I feel wonderful at 150 lbs, and that is my goal since it's very realistic for me to maintain. I also haven't seen 150 lbs since the mid 80's.

I have a steel plate in my left tibia and arthritis in my ankles, toes, wrists and neck. I have a treadmill and a LifeFitness eliptical trainer. About 3 months ago I started getting up 45 minutes earlier in the morning and I'm walking for 30 minutes on my treadmill before I start work. (I work from home). For me, this is huge. I'm walking on a 5 incline at 3.5mph. Any faster and I'm sliding off the back I have such a short stride. Running is very difficult with my leg, but I want to get to a light jog eventually. I've lost 13 lbs so far, and my energy level has improved. I've started being very aware of what I eat. Never into fruits and veggies so I'm trying to introduce them. I eat a lot of whole grains, lean protein, snack on string cheese, almonds, whole grain toast with peanut butter for breakfast, yogurt, homemade hummus with grain chips, etc. I'm feeling good.

A few weeks ago I bought a Total Gym. So far, I love this thing. I'm starting very slow because I don't want to overdo it. I've been working 8-10 different exercises 3 or 4 times per week at about 30 minutes at a time, but I would like to shorten that workout to 15 minutes and do lower body one day, upper body the next day. Doesn't this give the muscles a day to recuperate?

My current schedule is 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, then I go back after my shift in the late afternoon and do 15-20 minutes on the Total Gym. I will obviously try to increase both the cardio and the strength training as my body gets conditioned to it, but right now I'm trying to find out if I should change anything? I keep feeling like walking 1.5 miles every morning isn't much, but I also have to tell myself that I've walked about 60 miles in the last 3 months and that's more than I did in the last 10 years put together, so it's something!

Cookie