View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

mandygirl12 HB User
Re: Difficulty/Restricted Breathing

Twiggle,

I absolutely have breathing problems associated with my GERD. In fact, I would say that is one of my biggest symptoms. I get a constricted feeling in my throat like I am not getting enough air and then I start yawning a lot and I get really tired. It only happens when I have a GERD flare-up- more than the burning sensation it is this chest tightness and shortness of breath that gets to me. I know it is very scary. Once a doctor told me that feeling like I need to gasp for air is because of the acid build-up. It is always worse after eating and at night. Sometimes sipping on cold water helps me for whatever reason; I think it's more of a calming thing than it really does anything medically. I am also on Prilosec for years now, and most of the time it helps but lately not at all. I also tried Zantac twice a day but did not like it. I've had my oxygen levels tested and an EKG- both normal, so I think I am actually getting enough oxygen it just feels like I'm not because I have so much acid coming up that it's causing a lot of discomfort. It usually also helps me to stand up and walk around a little to get some fresh air. Sitting or lying down make it worse. Exercising is difficult. I hope you feel better, it is a terrible and terrifying symptom. I've also read apple cider vinegar can help, which I'm going to try next if my symptoms don't go away.

The Following User Says Thank You to mandygirl12 For This Useful Post:
Twiggle66 (02-04-2012)