View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
(female)

paseitz HB User
Re: Difficulty/Restricted Breathing

Twiggles,

I have been diagnosed with Esophogitis and spasms of the esophagus. I have had the same symptoms; difficulty breathing, fluttering in the chest and throat, along with a multitude of others. I have what feels like a constant lump in my throat. It feels similar to when you are about to cry. I have been to the E/R on more than one occasion thinking I was having a heart attack. After EKG, heart echo and even a heart cath they have ruled out heart problems. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week. I have already had the barium swallow which only showed slight reflux. I can tell you that this is a very difficult condition to deal with. I feel bad constantly. I am learning that the food I eat is directly correlated to how bad/well I feel. I have always loved spicy foods. I can no longer eat anything spicy. I feel bad when I eat any of the following; greasy foods, spicy foods, raw vegetables, too many nuts, chocolate, most meat. I am trying to primarily eat soups and softer bland food. I have tried nexium with little or no affect. What helps me more than anything is saltine crackers and buttermilk. I don't know if this coats my esophagus and stomach maybe. I just know that it sometimes will completely get rid of the spasms. I drink a lot of warm chicken soup broth as well. The heat seems to relax my esophagus and stop the spasms. I will post an update after I see my GI doctor so maybe someone else can be helped or at least feel comfort in knowing they are not the only one going through this. I hope you get better soon.