View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
(male)

vs1988 HB User
Suspicious Mole: to wait or not?

Hi all,

I'm a 23 year old male. I was at the dermatologist yesterday to have a couple of suspicious moles examined. One in particular is worrisome since it has been changing shape and color for the past few months and is slightly tender to the touch. As far as family history, my brother had several dyplastic moles and 1 melanoma-in-situ removed two years ago. Given this, my dermatologist set me up for a biopsy for next week.

Here's my dilemma:

I recently started a new job with a new insurance plan, and this particular dermatologist is not in my plan's network. My plan states that I have to pay a deductible, co-pay, and 15 percent co-insurance for providers that are not covered. I've tried other doctors in the area, but the average wait time for a dermatologist seems to run several months to almost a year. For my appointment yesterday I waited a couple of months (which is when I started the new job/insurance).

Do you think it's safe scheduling with a dermatologist covered by my plan and waiting the few months to be seen? From my appointment yesterday he initially wanted to do a watch and wait over three months, but after I told him about the family history he recommended the biopsy. I can safely cover the costs and my family has offered to help me financially, but I don't wish to burden them or spend money unnecessarily. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or input on this.

Thanks!