View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
(female)

Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Hi, DH -

I totally agree about the antibiotics causing side effects and other symptoms (bitter taste in mouth, etc.). For me, I was taking heavy doses of Macrodantin, which caused burning/aching in my limbs, bladder, back, neck - and I also had a very bad acid reflux attack, dizziness, nausea, etc. I became very alarmed at those symptoms - and I've now been off the Macrodantin for a week . . . and my symptoms have gradually died down, for the most part.

So, I'm quite sure you're going to have some kind of side effects (maybe mild, maybe not) from your round of antibiotics. At least, that's been my experience with antibiotics.

As to your swelling, you're not alone. My anal area still does not look normal. I really hope it someday will . . . And no, I cannot see any incision site, although maybe I just don't know how to look at myself and know what is what. Two days ago, one of my stitches (that was hanging down on two ends) broke after I had a bm. Of course, it scared me - but, I haven't had bleeding, so I've tried not to get upset about it. --- I'm trying to keep my bms manageable, but I'm still very concerned about them, because I don't want to mess anything up down below. --- You said your fissure was deep . . . mine sure felt like it was, but one crs told me it was only 1mm deep - he's also the crs who told me that "time and fiber" would be the best fix for my fissure. Needless to say, I found a different (much more understanding) crs - Dr. B. - and he's the one who did my surgery.

Dr. B. is the one I'll see again on Tuesday. I just hope he says I'm doing okay. --- DH, I'm sure that if your area didn't look okay, your crs would have said so. Post-op swelling is apparently normal, so we'll just have to hope and pray we're okay and that the swelling will eventually go down.

I applaud you for getting in the tub. My nurse friend (who also had a LIS, but no fissurectomy) said that tubs were what really helped her heal. Dr. B. said that tubs wouldn't affect my healing, either way, but are used for post-op comfort. I really don't like getting in a tub, so I haven't done so, yet. --- Your husband is doing the same thing mine does, by cleaning me with the "peri-care" bottle (it's the little, plastic squirt bottle that I got after having my children - and that's what the nurses called it, a peri-care bottle). Usually, after I have a bm, my husband will squirt my bottom, and then I'll follow that with a shower. After that, I carefully - CAREFULLY - try to clean the area with a damp q-tip (or two), followed by carefully drying the area with gauze.

It's good you haven't lost your sense of humor. I think you're doing better about that, than I have. Really, it's been such an ordeal for me - what with the fissure re-tearing (last Oct.), then three months of seeing various crs's and trying to give the fissure time to heal - then finding a great crs (Dr. B.), then having surgery, and now trying to get past everything.

Progress, digress, progress, digress . . . etc., etc., etc.

Anyhow, this has been a dark period in my life - but, like I mentioned before, I've benefitted from it, too, because I've re-embraced my faith in a much stronger way, and I've re-evaluated my perspective a bit, as well.

I'm still taking two (100 mg.) stool softeners a day -- and, I'm eating prunes. I detest them, but I'm eating them. I'm trying to do whatever I can to make things easier, without having to drink the Miralax. --- I think you'll find that cutting out the Miralax, even a little, might prevent you from having too many bms per day. --- The other night, I ate 8-9 small prunes - and a couple hours later, I realized that I had eaten way too many, because my intestines really churned, and I felt queasy. It's hard to find the happy medium - soft stools, once a day, with a happy intestinal tract. --- One thing, I'm still itchy down below - not horribly so, though - but it briefly intensifies after a bm.

I've tried to picture you on your hotel bed, finding just the right place so that your internet will work. Moving around has been hard for me, too. My youngest son recently mentioned riding bikes with me when the weather gets a bit warmer . . . I told him that it would be quite awhile before I felt like sitting on a bicycle seat. Right now, I cannot imagine riding a bike! There's just no way I can attempt that, until/unless I've made a lot more progress.

With regard to our communication, I'm still trying to figure out how to (of if I can) send you a pm. I don't know how to give you my email, either, being that this board is moderated. If you can figure it out, I'd be happy to do so.

I hope you're able to rest and are feeling better this evening. I'm hoping we'll both on the mend, before long. What a heck of a way to make a friend, huh? LOL! Well, it's nice to meet someone who's going through the same thing.

Take care, rest, and let me know how you're doing.

Prayers and blessing to you!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-20-2012 at 05:47 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tweetums For This Useful Post:
DailyHope (03-12-2012)