View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
(female)

hizzy HB User
Re: vitamin D deficiency. does that explain my symptoms?

thanks, misty! i just switched to calcium citrate at jen's suggestion. what form of magnesium do you take? i've read that magnesium oxide is likely to cause gastrointestinal issues, and is really the least desirable form since these days, with research pointing toward the benefit of ANTIoxidants. i'm reading that magnesium taurate is regarded as the best form, generally. i eat only whole grains (gave up processed white pasta and bread several years ago) and dark leafy greens pretty much daily, but could i still be magnesium deficient since i've had vitamin D issues?

now that you mention it, it does make sense it would be difficult to build up stores once you deplete yours. has it taken you the full year to start noticing the benefits of vitamin D supplementation? someone else somewhere on healthboards mentioned that they heard you can generally count on raising your level by 10 for each month of supplementing with 1000 IU of D3 daily, but they didn't have a reference for this, and it seems unlikely that everyone absorbs it so uniformly.

my rheumatologist ordered labs to recheck my vitamin D level again in mid-april, so i'm trying to keep in mind that she must not feel there would be any significant change in my level before then.