View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

morceau HB User
Bacterial vaginosis - unsure of what to do next

Hello all,

I am a 21 year old female and have been having vaginal discomfort for about three months. Throughout the day I feel itchy and tenderness/soreness inside the vagina. I have not had intercourse since the symptoms started – it is much too painful.

I went to my primary care physician and she told me it was more than likely caused by using antibacterial soap in that area. She performed a lab test by swabbing inside. I couldn’t believe how painful it was when she put the utencil in to do the lab test. That test came back showing that I had Strep-B. I was diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis. She then referred me to a gynecologist. The gynecologist prescribed Amoxicillin 500 MG capsules, which I took by mouth three times a day for 21 days, for a total of 63 capsules. However, I was still experiencing the symptoms.

The gynecologist, thinking that a possible yeast infection had began during the treatment for Step-B, prescribed me Fluconazole 150 MG tablets, which I took by mouth once every 7 days for 21 days, for a total of 3 tablets. This did not work either – I was and still am experiencing the symptoms.

After speaking with my gynecologist yesterday, he told me he was at a loss and unsure of what to do next. I asked him if he thought a vaginal tissue sample would be the next step, but he didn’t think that would help the situation. So it appears I may need to look for another gynecologist.

So, I called my primary care physician and left a message asking for her recommendations. I am waiting on a call back.

I feel so frustrated – I am unsure what to do – should I suggest having my primary care physician take a vaginal tissue sample? I just don't feel right suggesting remedies to the doctor.

Does anyone that’s been through this have tips as to what I should do?

Thanks for the help, I certainly appreciate it.

By the way, I did see the sticky at the top recommending douching with Hydrogen Peroxide - that may be something I'd be willing to try if it came down to it.

Last edited by morceau; 02-21-2012 at 09:02 AM.