View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #17
(female)

hizzy HB User
Re: vitamin D deficiency. does that explain my symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbell60 View Post
Hi hizzy,

I completely hear you. I have been going through this for about 2 years now. I have gone through all the tests that the doctors could think of including thyroid. Everything came back to be normal except vitamin D and iron. My iron is back to normal but Vitamin D has gone up only a bit. It was 29 when they first checked it and put me on 1000 IU daily. I felt better for a bit but later started experiencing even more fatigue and joint pain. I barely make it to work and back. I take my vitamin D usually in the morning with breakfast. I also feel that it makes me slighly dizzy and hypoglycemic. My vitamin D level went up to 36 and then went down to 32. However, I don't feel any better. I take the NOW brand of vitamin D3 1000 IU. Just like you, I can't wait to get my life back. People around you think you are making it up and are depressed. Yes, you get depressed when you are unable to lead a normal life and struggle with day to day activities !

Do you have any recommendations for any particular brand ?
snowbell, bless your heart, going through this for 2 years! i noticed that taking vitamin D3 made me feel a bit hypoglycemic at first, but after a few weeks of taking it, i don't notice it so much anymore...it only happens every so often now.

yesterday, i talked to a friend of mine who is a registered dietician...he recently went to a conference on nutrition, and the expert who spoke there spent a fair amount of time speaking on vitamin D. this expert said that the best way to improve a D deficiency is through a healthy amount of sun (exposure of your face, arms, and neck for an amount of time that depends on your skin color), followed by a "healthy" amount of time in a tanning bed (the UVB rays are so concentrated that there is a fine line between a healthy and unhealthy length of time, plus you get concentrated UVA exposure, too), followed by oral supplements. the speaker said she has been treating her deficient clients with sunlight with good results...of course, she works here in florida where we have plenty of sun year-round! if supplements aren't working for you, maybe consider trying to get a healthy amount of sun or try a tanning bed. i have seen people on other posts/message board say that their doctors prescribed time in a tanning bed because they live up north where sunlight is very limited at this time of year.

as for brands of supplements, i have tried both nature made brand of D3 (very cheap at your local drug store) and solgar brand of D3 (pretty expensive at my local health food store). i gotta say that the cheap nature made brand seems to be working better for me! also make sure you take your D3 with a meal containing some fat. every morning, i eat a spoonful of peanut butter then immediately take my vitamin D3 and calcium. i started doing this after my rheumatologist recommended it...i was previously taking the D3 with my high-fiber breakfast cereal, and my rheumy said the fiber cereal will absorb the vitamin rather than my body! i wait about 30 minutes to an hour to eat my regular breakfast after taking my peanut butter/D3 combo...i can really tell that's made a difference for me over the past few weeks!