View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

jackie607 HB Userjackie607 HB User
Husband just diagnosed with prostate cancer

My husband's PSA was going up for over 5 years. He is 73. He has had 5 previous biopsies all negative. Finally when his PSA was 50 this year he asked if the urologist if could do anything else but another biopsy. The doctor did an MRI which showed a nodule. He had never sent a patient for an MRI before and didn't even know if they could do one here in our town. After the MRI the doctor then knew where to biopsy and the cancer was found. The doctor said, "I hadn't biopsied that spot because it was hard to get to and would have been painful" (anterior). He says cancer there is rare. Cancer was found in 50-60% of cores. Gleason is 7 (4+3). The doctor said free PSA was irrelevant. He something about the PSA was above 3 (the thickness?) I don't remember. The doctor gave us a book which prompted me to ask if any previous biopsies had shown atypical cells. He said he didn't know but would check. Yes, in 2007 he had high grade pin cells found. Shouldn't the doctor have told us or done something? We don't know yet if the CA has spread. My husband had a chest xray and bone scan on Friday. We know the chest xray showed a mass but we don't know what it is. He also had a CT scan but we don't know the results. We are frightened and don't trust the doctor. We live in a fairly small town but would go anyplace to get good care. How do we know where to go?

The following user gives a hug of support to jackie607:
Baptista (02-26-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jackie607 For This Useful Post:
combine20 (03-27-2012)