View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulnar shortening

Booboo,

Thanks for your update. I'm glad all went well.

I had 4 mm removed. I went from the 1/2 cast/splint to the regular cast at 2 weeks. Maybe a bit sooner than you. They did an x-ray at that time to make sure everything was still lined up well. I go back in about another 3-4 weeks to get the cast off and go into a splint.. if all goes well.

Something I found interesting is that they have you in a sling. They didn't put me in one. They did tell me to keep my arm up at about a 90 degree angle with my hand up for the first several days so the blood went down and I kept it propped up for about a week almost non-stop though. I wonder why the difference...? I'm still propping my arm on the pillows when I get home from work and while I sleep. I'm also still icing it down as much as possible. I had ice on it about 50% of the time post-surgery

I stayed on my pain meds 24/7 for the first 1 1/2 weeks. I just went from taking 2 every 4 hours down to taking 1 every 6 hours.

The moderate pain will continue for a bit. A word of warning, when you start using the arm a bit, by the end of the day the pain will return. I wish I'd taken an additional week of leave, even though I haven't been overdoing use of my hand. I'm still taking the prescription pain meds and muscle relaxers when I get home at night. The tylenol isn't enough for a full day yet. It is slowly getting better, but I think it will be a while still. I'm also totally warn out part way through the afternoon. I've had some issues with my shoulder as well. It was already a bit tight, but trying to do anything (like typing) with the cast on throws my shoulder off.

I found a great website and ordered some castshields for showering that have worked well. I also ordered a castcooler which hooks up to a vacuum and helps air circulate under the cast. Seems to be working well so far. I also ordered a couple fun cast covers as well. They look good and also keep my from snagging the cast on my sweaters and fleece.

Stay in touch. I'll update when I have something new as well.