View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Alzheimer's awareness indication

I have a question for all. So many of us have had difficulties with doctors and other medical personnel being aware of our loved ones dementia. Especially in a hospital or ER setting the dementia seems to be shoved to the back ground and medical personnel treat without regard to the dementia.

Another acquaintance, in the land of dementia, made a suggestion and I wondered what the response here would be.

If you go into the hospital and your loved one is prone to falling you get a red bracelet along with your hospital ID bracelet that lets everybody know that your loved one is a fall risk. Extra precautions and procedures are in place to take care of those red banded people. What is your thoughts of a purple band for anyone who has a diagnosis of dementia? That way, the hospital personnel will know there is cognitive dysfunction behind actions and perhaps find a better way to handle a situation. There can be a protocol behind the bracelet that gives them awareness and guidance.

This is something that will have to be handled state by state but I for one am planning to push it here. Just wanted your thoughts on the subject.

Love, deb