View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: L4/L5 Spine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvie111 View Post
hi guys, sorry if I lack some info will provide what i know,

a family member of mine who is around 50~ has been reciving some pain lately around the outside of the thigh area. When for MRI scan and was told that the L4/L5 is quite narrow and that they have the following options:

Either a injection (from what little i know i presume its a epidural?) is this safe?

then if that does not work Surgery.

Does anybody have any more info about this that I can read up on, is there anything one can do to ease the pain? I have been told acupuncture works for some people? they have only got the letter yesterday from he hospital stating about the L4/L5 being out of place. My knowledge on this subject is very limited,seeing what I can find out on the internet and wondered across this site.

thanks
Pain on the outer thigh alone is 99 times out of a 100 is meralgia paresthetica
which is pressure on the lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh. It is caused by having a big belly, ie pregnancy or just being fat, tight corsetts, very tight jeans, sitting over a desk for extended periods and sometimes it comes on for no apparent reason. It is easy to test for, get a pin or needle and stroke across the pain full area and mostly but not always you will find a somewhat lessening of sensation at the middle of the pain area as compared to a non painfull area of thigh.
If it is not MP then have an xray or whatever but not before a good examination and possibly saving you from great expence and worst of all surgical intervention.
James