View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Catheters, Oxy, and Dementia...oh my!

Keysey, this reminds me that my FIL had this same day op for hernia in 2007. My FIL always made sure my husband was nearby for his op. I made sure we were there for the microwave treatment as well (2010).
Back then in 2007, my FIL had this office couch (he loves the cheap couches) and he sacked into it. After the first hernia op, he came home and sat on that bad couch. He could not go to bed as he hurt so he would sit on the couch or lie down. Ironically he never remembered he had the fresh scar! So every time he sat down, he went ouch!
We had caregivers but the hernia op failed because of this chair (the position hurt his scar.) So there was a second hernia op in 3 months. We went there again. This time we got a new recliner. So he got well on that!

My FIL was better in 2007 but that was the year that he began to mix things up in his mind.
It is hard. I can feel for you. Don't blame yourself. The first time was always shocking and a learning experience! We didn't even know he didn't take a shower in late 2006! The caregiver at that time was only part-time.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 02-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.