View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Trapped nerve in lower spine help please

I'm sorry you are experiencing unexpected pain from your surgical procedure. I really don't know all that much about laser laparoscopy but will try to offer a couple suggestions.

Unfortunately the pelvis and spinal areas are close in proximity, with nerves running back and forth. One of the major nerves is the ilioinguinal nerve which can become injured during abdominal surgery. It is one of four nerves that make up what is called the lumbar plexus.

Injury can happen with any type of abdominal surgery. Pain associated with this kind of injury shows up in the inguinal area, which is in the abdomen, and this pain typically radiates into the legs and genital area.

I don't know enough about this procedure to know how the nerve could become entrapped. However, whenever a laser is involved, there is always a very small risk of damage to surrounding tissue, which could include the nerve.

I would suggest you call your surgeon today and find out specifically how you should treat this entrapment. While it is rarely beneficial to take to your bed and remain there, in this case I don't think it would hurt to rest a couple days to see if this takes care of the problem.

It would make some sense to me that the nerve could become somewhat compressed if surrounding tissue is swelling, but in that case, the pain radiates out from the area and there is not one spot that evokes a reaction of pain when you press on it. It isn't quite that localized.

Since you do not have sudden muscle weakness I would think that the problem is just temporary and will go away as the swelling goes away. Are you allowed to use ice? You might try putting an ice or cold gel pack over the lower lumbar spine area for 15-20 minutes at a time to see if it helps.

Hopefully it will clear up in a few days. However, I will warn you that when a spinal nerve is irritated or compressed, it can take a long time to heal.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
ritax (03-01-2012)