Thread: Am I alone?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
(female)

abayomi10 HB User
Re: Am I alone?

Autism is a difficult think to understand, especially when you are young. You must try and not take his anger personally. I would see if you can research as much as you can about autism as it will empower you to learn and understand what your brother is going through. It may also help you, help him to understand himself. My daughter is autistic and I remember the first time we found out when she was 7 years old. I was scared, angry, upset, confused and was so filled with every emotion there was. I started to research everything I could and started to understand... there are many books out there that can also explain the mind of someone autistic. I do believe once you understand you will start to see the good things and look for things that makes you proud he is your brother. Our son son had a difficult time at first until we were able to teach him what she is like... then he excepted her for who she was. It sounds as if you are having so many different emotions and are also feeling bad for your brother. Maybe you can look at this from a different light and by learning more you can help him. He is just as confused about his anger and emotions. Telling him how it makes you feel and explaining to him that you understand things are more difficult for him.... tell him you are going to be more understanding and most importantly, when you see he doesn't get angry about something you thought he might... make sure you tell him how amazingly strong he was for not getting so mad. Overtime by recognizing he is strong gives him power to learn that he can try and control his angry emotions. It is more difficult for a autistic child. I'm sure he is just as confused, angry and upset as you are.... see if you can help each other.

I hope that helps. All the best...

Tracy

The Following User Says Thank You to abayomi10 For This Useful Post:
MonkeyLoverDind (03-09-2012)