View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: RF Ablation for SI Joint Disorder

I would be very careful moving ahead with anything like a fusion for the SI joint. After years and years of doctors thinking the SI joints could not possibly be a cause of "back" problems, now it seems like the tide is turning and people are really jumping on the bandwagon. I have really mixed feelings about the topic and feel like I have been on both sides of the issue, in a way. My feelings are slightly tempered by the fact that the new SI Bone fusions seem to be having more success than the standard way of fusing, which had a very, very long recovery without weightbearing and a low rate of success. But the "new" way doesn't have any track record, so we don't really know how patients will be five years from now...what other problems may arise as a result of having the SI joint immobilized, etc.

Many issues that people perceive to be SI joint problems are caused by or at least there are many other things that contribute to the issue. And, it is very difficult to tease them apart and know for sure it is one and not another. Even having the diagnostic injection doesn't necessarily answer the question like it does higher up in the spine.

I personally would try the ablation prior to doing anything surgical. There is no turning back once surgery is done.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
peps90436 (03-18-2012)