View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User
Re: RF Ablation for SI Joint Disorder

[QUOTE=teteri66;4946429]Have you looked into prolotherapy if you find it is SI joint hypermobility? it occurs to me I don't really know what types of symptoms you are having, so it might not be appropriate for your situation.

I know we all get sick of the constant rounds of going to the doctor, trying a new med or procedure, waiting to see if it helps, going back to the doctor, etc. and we all hope to find a permanent situation where we will be without pain. But always keep in mind that some people end up in more pain after surgery. Sometimes surgery is a success but it turns out what was "fixed" wasn't the only pain generator, etc. Sometimes surgery seems like the lesser of two evils, but, often it doesn't have the desired outcome.

I know you will do your homework and won't jump into anything. I just mention these things for anyone who might be reading![/QUOTE]

I have tried prolotherapy. Did not react well to that, and was in major pain for several months after only one session, or whatever they call them. Doc agreed that to repeat it would be a mistake.

Mention anything you want, as we all want to help others as much as we can!

I can deal with there not being a 'fix' for my back. I've learned enough of the warning signs that things are flaring up to usually keep it on a leash. I have also learned the things not to do for the most part.

The main symptoms are pain in the SI Joint area, pain at what I have learned is the piriformis muscle, the glutes, right at the bottom of my pelvis, my hamstring gets tight, as does the muscle at the side of my hip/thigh. Sitting, walking, standing all increase my pain. Kneeling, squatting, and similar activities also increase my pain. I know that the SI joint isn't the only source of my problems. The facet joints affect some of those activities as well, but with the RFA still working for those, everything is focused on the SIJ.

The physical exam included only two physical tests . . . the first one being they had me sitting in a chair, put my foot on the opposite knee (one leg at a time) and apply light pressure. There was response to that on the right, not on the left. Then doc had me stand, pick one foot up off the floor, and applied light pressure over the si joint on the same side as the foot still on the ground. With the left side, there was nothing, with the right side, I just about went through the ceiling.

If there is nothing that any of the docs I am talking to want to do or can do, I am just going to live with it. I know how to keep it all on a leash for the most part, it just means that I don't have much of a life. My youngest kid is 17 years old, so I don't have as many 'mom' duties as others with younger kids.