View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
(male)

Dzierga HB User
Should I repeat a bioposy?

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Of the 12 samples taken, one was cancer (Gleason 3+4 =7, involving one third of the sample), one was "rare atypical small acinar proliferation", and the rest were either benign or "non-diagnostic" because "the majority of specimen was deeply adherent to the sponge pad in which it was submitted and did not survive."

My doctor wants to repeat the biopsy to get more information. But since I already know I have cancer, Gleason 7, I'm starting to think I don't need a second biopsy. I am thinking that I am young enough that I should just go ahead and treat, probably with surgery, rather than "watchful waiting."

Other information: my biopsy was triggered by a nodule detected during my annual physical; my PSA is 3.9, up from 2.2 18 months ago; I am 53 years old and otherwise in very good health.

Any thoughts about the advisability of repeating?

Also, was this a botched biopsy, or is this just something that happens from time to time? If the former, I may want a different doctor/hospital to do the repeat.