View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

lacygirlinhidez HB User
Question Help me be prepared to confront my pain mgmt dr!

Hi friends,
I joined this site because I was so impressed with the wonderful responses to questions. I am 52, have had 2 major surgeries, which have left me with so much scar tissue 3 general surgeons have said I need to go to a pain management dr, that surgery is not an option... and... I've suffered with fibromyalgia for 27 years and now instead of 2 or 3 flare ups a month I have maybe 1 or 2 days where I don't feel completely exhausted and sobbing in pain from my neck, shoulders, knees, as well as the thoracic and lumbar parts of my spine. An MRI last year showed 14 herniated discs, which finally at that point my general MD sent me to a pain dr. A year later I still cry in pain.... after trying a set of 3 epidurals for my spine... the recovery because of my fibro caused even more pain, plus the dr refused to put me in twilight sleep to do the epidural even after I told her I suffer from severe anxiety, and during each epidural I almost screamed in pain... after the 3rd one in the series she finally said "you should've been sedated!! ".... so, for 8 mos I've been using fentanyl patches and percocet for breakthrough pain, however I wind up taking the percocet every day. The fentanyl never has relieved the pain, even with the percocet. It makes it so I can get thru 30 minutes of getting groceries without crying, but for the last 8 months the only time I can bare to leave the house is to go see my pain dr, or my psychiatrist, or my regular dr. The last time I saw the pain dr I told her , begged her to help me... she asked me "what do you want me to do?"... and I was a bit taken back, I was hoping she, the professional might have some other suggestions. She switched me to Norco? That was 8 days ago, I haven't gotten off the couch except to go to the bathroom. I'm seeing her on Fri, and I want to be armed with possible suggestions... so I'm hoping to hear what has worked with those of u in severe chronic pain. I plan on having my daughter print out any material I can find, and if she doesn't make some big changes I'll try to find another dr. I can't drive and have to depend on the disability bus to take me places, I only get disability as an income and the bus is expensive, so I can't even get P/T because of my transportation issues. Ok.. sorry this was long, it's my first post and I tried to cover everything, thank you for any of u who might be able to help. I live in Apple Valley, CA........ just in case someone might live in my area and know a better pain dr.

Last edited by lacygirlinhidez; 03-29-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: remove dr's name