View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Best way to take away car?

Quickly, this is my uncle and he was diagnosed with Alz a little over 2 months ago. He has been getting worse pretty quickly over the last couple years. I am working with his duaghters helping with finances and manage his rental properties. 3 doctors have said he cannot drive.

About 3 months ago he was in a very minor(thank God) accident, where he hit and run. The police caught up with him and seeing his state sent him to the hospital. They left his car there and his daughter and I picked it up the next day and are holding it at her house. Not ideal, but he is fiercely independent, resistant and loves driving. We took it as an opportunity. She has told him he cannot drive and he has nothing of it.

Now, he is still agitated with getting his car back. I had a half hour conversation with him on the phone about it. The facade we have of the state holding his car cause of the accident is wearing thin and getting annoying.

Is there a better way to bring closure of his car to him? This is totally new on all of us, so while it was not the ideal approach it has worked for 3 months. ANother thought was to pull the car into his yard after I permanently disable it....but I can imagine the same agitation with him always wanting his car fixed.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by SOTM; 04-03-2012 at 06:24 PM.