View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Best way to take away car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
The first rule of Alzheimer's is never argue with them. Give them quick simple answers, validate their emotions, give them a little hope, and stay the course
Thank you for the response, Deb

I quoted the above because it is so true, and I have been doing that lately. i am just glad to hear we are not the only ones that have done this car thing the way we have! I have actually told him that I went through a similar thing( white lie) with my car being inpounded and that it took over a year to get it back.....whenever I tell him this, it greatly relieves him.

I think it is almost easier for them to be "in the moment" than us. We are lucky enough to have some great people on board and behind us and him, so it is doable. He is not the only family member affected, we have an aunt heading down the same path. I am in the process of decalring bankruptcy for her since her finance got out of control. There seems to be a rather fast point- at least in these two- where they refuse all help at all costs to where they start almost willingly handing over the reigns of everything to you, which is a great relief.

Thanks again. Hearing that you did this same thing for years gives me the hope that it can be done with him. We will just keep up the act, since it is so worth it. His daughter just recently got POA, and I believe she is working on guardianship. She wants to sell the car, and I will now encourage her to do so. As I said, we have many people behind us willing to keep him company now that he is grounded and also keep the "mystery" of the car going.

You'll see me post here more often in this forum absolutely . It is great knowing there are others going through the same experience.

Jim