View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

guinivere HB User
Re: Heelie weight bearing

Hi!
I am pretty much a new heelie too. I am only a few months ahead of you but will tell you what I know. I had a severely comminuted fracture of the calcaneus and cuboid. I feel 14 ft on to limestone. The injury was tramatic to say the least. I had six hours of surgery with a plate, 8 screws, and 3 pins. The doc told my husband that if it had been any worse they would have had to amputate and so I find myself very fortunate.
I was given poor prognosis for recovery but since I am a 53 year old never say never female, I would not give in. The normal for beginning to add weight is at 3 months and I, like you, was given the go ahead at 2 months. I think my doc added weight dif than your doc. I started at 30% body weight for 3 days, then 60 % (for 3 days), then 90% for 3 days, and on the 10th day I was at 100 %. It was very painful and mind you that this did not mean that I was 100% without any support from then on. I was in my boot and I muddled around the house at 100%. If I went anywhere, I always used my scooter, walker, or cane. I was told to let go of the boot and wear tennis shoes about 2 weeks after I was at 100%. Again, I was not 100% out of the boot but wore the tennis shoe and the boot as swelling permitted.

I had a lot of pain and like you sooooooo much numbness and inability to move my toes. Most of this is a nerve issue as they were cut during the surgery and it takes a very long time for them to grow back together and to become useful again.

I was a marathoner before the injury and so I was use to not giving in and to hard workouts. I pushed myself and did what I was told to do. There were times that I thought I just could NOT DO IT. Thank goodness that my husband was there as my support system. He helped with my workouts and exercises and when I would cry, he would talk through to the finish. We do have to push through to get better.

In March (I was 4 months out) I was totally with out assistance and wearing my tennis shoe all the time. I was still having significant swelling and deep deep deep pain. It would hurt so bad at night and be better by morning to only start all over again the next evening. Cold weather also played a significant part in the pain as well. My ROM was much better than expected and although I could move the foot well, it was not stepping on that hurt as much as the pain I had after I stepped off. My doctor decided that the pain was coming from the surgical hardware and the nerve in my foot.

On Thursday of last week (5 April 12) I underwent 3 hours of surgery to remove all of the hardware in my foot. There was some surgery also done to repair a frayed tendon and some heel remodeling. I am back on Non-weight bearing status again. I cannot give you a full prognosis but I can tell you that the area of my foot that hurt so tremendously after the first surgery and continued through my initial recovery is no longer there. I have had significant pain with this surgery but it is nothing to be compared to the original injury.

In my opinion, I think that whatever we do to break the calcaneus is usually such a tramatic thing in itself (not including the break but what we actually did to break it) that the recuperation is something that our entire body is working through.

You did not give an account to what happened to cause the break or what was done in surgery (I think it all plays a big part in our mental progress) but I encourage you to keep on stepping. You will get through it and the faster you push yourself (in keeping your docs orders) the quicker you will recup. I also encourage you to listen to your doc. Trust them in your healing process. My doc is a very straight forward person. She talks tough but this is a tough injury with a tough recup and I think we need it.