View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
(male)

jake99 HB User
Re: Living with hiv for about 18 years without knowing!

I was diagnosed in '08 and never knew I was poz. From my counts (CD4 = 0, VL = 6M) the doctor determined I had probably be living with this for 10 years. I never exhibited any issues other than typical common colds. In fact, when I started taking Atripla, my energy level did not feel any different. The only reason I was tested was due to strange dark marks on my body that turned out to be KS. I was infected from a one-time encounter many years earlier that I had forgotten about.

Taking Atripla was tough for the first two weeks, with strange sensations immediately after taking the med and then being very tired the next day. Eventually, my body adjusted and now it's like taking a daily vitamin. I have no side effects whatsoever and have been on the meds for 4 years now. My CD4 = 280 and VL = undetectable.

Hopefully it helps for you to know that others have been in the same situation and are living a normal life. Just don't ever miss a dose or stop taking the meds as it will allow the virus to become resistant.

Know that everything will work out.....God bless you!