View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Has it only been 2 months

Your loss is still fresh Judy! Be patient with yourself and take good care of yourself as you adjust to your new normal. You not only lost your Mom but you are also moving into her house. Keeping busy is good I am sure you see her around every corner. But that is ok because those memories can be healing if you let them. As for keeping some of her things... I still have some of Dad's things and it's been 2 years. For me they are a connection. They can also be a way to connect you to the better memories of the past. The items I kept had meaning to him, and thus to me, from a life before dementia. The pictures I have around the house are all pre dementia. I will never forget those final years but they have to put it in perspective. My Dad lived to be almost 90 years old. I was a part of his life for about 60 years. The worst of his dementia only lasted for a couple of years. 58 years of good memories is 28 times as much as the last 2 years! I don't try to forget, I put it in it's proper perspective. I just try to remember correctly. This disease only occupied a small span of our entire time together. I do not let it define the relationship but put it in it's place. If holding a rock that Dad picked up in the desert in 1942 helps... then so be it

Love, deb