View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

posttibtend HB User
1 week PTTD post-op Calcaneal Osteotomy, Evan's Procedure, & PT tendon reconstruction

Hello Everyone,

First I wish to thank all of the courageous people who have posted and replied to topics concerning posterior tibial tendon dysfunction over the last couple of years. Almost 2 years ago (and 38 years of having flat feet) I was diagnosed with PTTD in both feet (Stage 2 A) and I have since read many posts to this topic on Health Boards.

I'm a 38 year old man in good health, neither over or under weight and lead a fairly healthy lifestyle (with the exception of getting exercise on my feet, of course : ) ) On April 5th, I underwent surgery on my right foot having a medial calcaneal displacement osteotomy (6mm medial slide with one titanium screw), lateral column lengthening - Evan's Procedure (using a cadaver bone graft, and a mid foot plate with four screws), along with a posterior tibial tendon reconstruction involving debridement of the PT tendon and a complete tendon transfer of the FDL tendon into the navicular bone (thus giving me two tendons to utilize for arch stabilization). After much consideration, the spring and deltoid ligaments were left intact because they appeared to be in very good condition. My Doctor is a well known foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon and researcher at a prestigious university and I very much trust her expertise. She is a personal hero of mine. She will likely operate on my left foot in one year if everything works out with the right foot.

I've done a lot of research on this procedure but less so on the recovery stage. After four painful days in the hospital, I went to recoup at my parents home (who live 10 minutes from the hospital). Since then I have been trying to reduce the pain medication, although somewhat unsuccessfully. Right now I'm on 20 mg of Oxycontin twice a day, 300 mg of Neurontin (Gabapentin) 3 times a day, 1000mg Tylenol 4 times a day and 5mg-20mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours as needed for pain. I've had a hard time reducing the Oxycodone less than 15 tabs (75mg. total) per 24 hour period. The break away pain is a daily issue and it appears that I sometimes need a lot of medication to control the pounding pressure in my foot. I tend to keep my foot elevated above my heart about 85-95% of the day (only when using the bathroom or moving to a different room is my foot below my heart for a few minutes at a time).

The two questions I had for old timers or really anyone more advanced in the recovery process, was how long did it take people until they could more or less keep their foot down for 50%-75% of the day (When I say down, I mean non-weight bearing but with your foot significantly below your heart). I'm looking for different scenarios that people have experienced in terms of the reduction of painful foot pressure that has come about through patiently enduring time. Also, is it likely that I can be off of these pain medications or at least severely reduce them by the three week mark?

I know that answers to these questions will vary from person to person and each of us will have a different experience based on our differing bodies, but I am interested in other peoples' stories.

Thank you for reading, any input would be very helpful.

-Posttibtend