View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User
Re: 1 week PTTD post-op Calcaneal Osteotomy, Evan's Procedure, & PT tendon reconstruc

Posttib- I too had PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer and a calcanal osteotomy secured with two screws, and I am 5 weeks post op now. I tore my ptt when i fell 10 feet out of the back of an airline catering truck. I had my surgery at an outpatient facility and had to go to a nursing facility for ten days after because I am single and had no one to care for me. The worst pain was the incisions in the heel, it felt like i stepped on glass but 10 times worse. I could also feel the pain in my heel bone from those screws. Those first few days are the hardest, but I noticed that the pain got a little better after the 6th day. I was on 7.5 mg of Percocet every 4 hours, but the pain was so intense that I had to have it increased to two 7.5 mg pills every 4 hours. If I missed a dose or the nursing staff was busy, I would be in intense pain. After the 6th day I was able to go longer periods of time between pills. When I got home I was only taking the pain meds twice a day, mostly at night. Now that I am at the 5 week mark I think I am able to go off the meds, and i only take a pill if I over do it. Everyone responds to pain different, but hang in there you will probably be able to cut down soon. Listen to your body, and you will know when you are ready. Most people say they cut back after two weeks.
As for propping your foot (toes above nose), my OS told me to be on bed rest for 2 weeks. After that I was told that I could sit up, but I still have to keep my leg level. I prop it up on my knee scooter while I am on the couch. They say that I can let it hang down but only for 5 to 10 minutes. If I do too much and my foot swells I prop my foot up above my heart to get the swelling down. I was also adventurous and made it to the car for short trips (my surgery was on left foot) after the 2 1/2 week mark. I was having allot of pain and swelling and my OS told me that I was doing too much. I still get tired really easy if I do too much and I was told that it is normal. My body is still recovering from the surgery, and I have to be patient.
I hope this helps you out. Be patient and hang in there, you should be feeling better soon! Do you have a knee scooter? I found it to be a lifesaver, and I can't imagine going 7 plus weeks on crutches. Although I do use my crutches to get up and down my back stairs and to go to my car.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.