View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

4kids4me HB User
Exclamation Migraine and bad headache for a week. HELP!

I developed a bad headache last Sunday. It hurt a lot, but was bearable by going to bed early. I didn't sleep well because my head kept hurting and on Monday I got up with it still hurting. By late morning it had developed into a migraine. I have a history of several classic migraines a year, and it's never been uncommon for them to last a full day, but hadn't had one in a couple of months. After the migraine had lasted nearly 3 days, I went to my Dr's office for help. He gave me a shot of Demerol with Zofran and sent me home. After 5 more hours of pain, realizing that the shot was NOT going to kick in, I called my local ask-a-nurse who instructed me to to to the ER. In the ER I got a shot of something called Neucaine (sp?) and an IV bag of fluids with some more Zofran and some Morphine. The pain in my head went from a 9 on the pain scale to a 6, so I went home expecting to sleep it off. I had another night of not sleeping well, and in the morning, I woke up with it being just a bad headache again, so I thought I was on the mend. By the end of the day, it had turned BACK into a migraine and has stayed that way. I've never head a bad headache or migraine last this long, or be this intense for so long, and I'm downright exhausted and worn out from being in pain! I really don't want to go back to the ER, so I'm going to wait until my Dr's office is open tomorrow (Monday) to go in to see someone. I don't want to just get a shot and "hope" it starts to feel better, I want to find something that will ACTUALLY make it better, but not sure what to suggest. I live in a very small town about 30 miles from the nearest hospital/clinic in a little bit bigger of a town, and there aren't any headache clinics or pain clinics even remotely close. I trust my Dr and his partners to do their best to help me, but I'm not sure where their knowledge lies in matters of the brain. I have had surgery on my legs and have a lot of metal in them, so MRI is out of the question. I will be asking for a CT at the very least, and I also have chronic kidney disease (Stage 1) so I am unable to use any NSAIDS like Tordol (the standard migraine shot) Advil, or Naproxen. I've been taking Tylenol, drinking lots of water, Tramadol, and I take Amitriptyline 25-50 mg at bedtime for a sleep disorder (Delta Wave Sleep Anomaly). I've tried umpteen different "at home remedies" ice packs, heating pads, lavender oil, hot baths, lukewarm baths, cayenne pepper, peppermint tea, peppermint oil, icy hot..... You name it, I've tried it, and some of these have worked in the past, but this time I've had no such luck. Does anyone have any advice I could use or take with me to my Dr to talk with him about? I'm MISERABLE!!! I've tried all the Triptans and sadly, they made my migraines feel worse, and after nearly a year on Fioricet, I had a bad experience with it making me "lose my mind" briefly.

Last edited by 4kids4me; 04-15-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to add