Thread: Spina Fusion
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

Mary Lane HB User
Thumbs up Spina Fusion

I live in the UK and have recently undergone L 3/4 fusion with discectomy (TLIF). Obviously, I have been searching the Internet for information and testimonials from people who have experienced a similar procedure. I note that most of the comments are from US residents and it seems that the normal practice in the US is for a back brace and walking frame to be used post operatively. This is not the case here. I was discharged from hospital and expected to walk unaided, which I did. My strength soon grew quite dramatically. I found the most uncomfortable was rising from a lying or low sitting position, but walking is fine. It is 4 weeks today since my surgery and I have been walking every day and have built up to an hour (about 4 miles) today. I also managed to return to my regular step class and participated for 25 minutes. I could have gone on for longer but didn't want to push my luck. Of course I had a very low level step and didn't jump at all or do any sort of teasing movements. My surgeons advice to me on discharge was to use my common sense, but that I could do anything that felt comfortable, so I do. The point I am making is that I have not come across many recoveries that have been as rapid as mine (although I still have slight sensations in my back, I am almost pain free and off all medication). Incidentally, my surgery was quite invasive, not MIS, I have s large scar on my back which is healing very well. So, does anyone else feel that the reliance on mobility aids could be delaying recovery time? Or am I just lucky? FYI I am a 51 year old female, otherwise, in good health.