View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Hypertension studies... not really that "DRAMATIC"

Here are a few other considerations...

First, it depends on your blood pressure. Every 20mmHg increase roughly doubles your risk. You are essentially saying that since the risk is so low, double the risk isnt that much, or taking drugs doesnt lower the absolute risk all that much. But that isnt true if your BP is 200/120.

Second, what is the outcome of high blood pressure besides mortality - stroke, cardiac dysfunction, kidney disease. Youll be at increased risk of chronic disease that will not kill you, but minimize your quality of life.

How many years of follow up does this include?? The big question I still have in regards to people like you and I who developed hypertension at a young age (around 20 right?), is what is the outcome 40-50 yrs from now.

Ive been on meds going on 9 years (after having 155/100 for 3-4 yrs first), and at 33 my endurance sucks. I cant seem to jog at more than 9 minute-mile pace anymore. Some of it is the beta blocker for certain, but there seems to be some underlying problem as well.