View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Dr's appointment tomorrow

Wow. I'd feel blown off too. It's like every question/suggestion you had was met with a "nah, that's okay but thanks for playing!" ugh! So sorry! I would strongly recommend looking for a 2nd opinion. I realize this isn't easy because of the military, but I think it's in your best interest. At this point, with no clearer answers or diagnosis/treatment plan than what you have now, wouldn't do any major procedure before you move. Not enough time unless it's late summer or fall. Pain meds aren't advisable? Right, ok. Like pain is? Seriously??? Did you ask why they weren't advisable? Do you have a primary doc you could get meds from? I kind of get the measurement thing since everyone does measure it differently and you do compare MRIs for growth, but couldn't he have measured it to give you a base idea of what you are dealing with? Sometimes the procedures differ based on the size of the lesion. Not sure why PT isn't advisable unles there's something with the OCD it isn't good for. It's excellent for strengthening the ankle, getting proper gait back and controlling pain and swelling. And when was your last MRI? That would tell you if it's too soon for insurance to approve another one. I'm so sorry!! Keep us updated!!

KTTYHOM9--Hi and welcome to the boards but I'm sorry you hurt your ankle. Ankle injuries are no fun and very painful as you now know. Follow all orders and take very good care of it or it can lead to further injuries and possible surgery (I'm currently recovering from ankle reconstruction #2!). As far as your MRI, looks like you tore your ATFL. Most common ligament injured in an inversion injury or sprain. It is located just I'm front of your ankle bone (the talus or knobby bone that sticks out on the outside of your ankle) and slightly up. There's an area that sort of "sinks in" right there (when it isn't swollen). Joint effusions are swelling/fluid in the joint. Looks like you have. Small amount of this in your posterior tibiotalar joint which is the back side of the joint where your tibia (big lower leg bone) and talus (ankle bone) as well as in your posterior subtalar joint (back side of where your talus and I think calcareous or heel bone meet). And also none marrow swelling in your posterior medial talus (back inside part of the talus of one of the ankle bone) and the back inside malleolus (the small knobby part of the INSIDE of your ankle). Your doctor will discuss how bad it all is and what it all means. It basically sounds like you tore the most common ligament in an ankle sprain and you have a lot of joing swelling which explains the swelling visible to you and the bruising. May I ask how you hurt your ankle? I ask because you have somme outside and inside stuff going. Did you roll it out and in? Are you able to walk on it at all? If not, is it because you physically can't or because the pain is too severe? Glad you have pain meds. The Tylenol #3 will control the pain and the ibuprofen will keep the inflammation down. Keep it elevated (toes above the nose) and ice, ice, ice! This will help greatly with swelling and pain. Rest the ankle as much as possible. Good luck snd Let us know what the doctor says!