View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
(male)

61Frank HB User
High PSA - negative biopsies - Low Testosterone - Connection ??

I have some interesting things going on - Sorry for the length of the post but I am trying to give as much information as possible.

PSA increased from 2.7 in 2007 to 6.1 in 2008 after regular Dr. physical exam.

Sent me to a Urologist - DRE showed enlarged prostate - Biopsy negative

PSA increased to 14.6 in 2009 - Second biopsy done - also negative

Sept. 2009 - had a Microwave procedure done to shrink prostate. Limited results.

Between 2009 and 2011 PSA checked almost every 4 to 6 months and has been ranging from 14 to 24 sometimes going up or down as much as 4 points between tests.

Additionally, over the time period 2009 to 2011 passed well over 100 uric acid bladder stones ranging from sand size to almost 1/4 inch in diameter.

Urologist had CAT scan done which showed nothing unusual except for prostate pushing into bladder with calcifications up to 1/2 inch in diameter.
Dr. felt these stones could be causing the fluctuating PSA readings.

I had these stones removed in Jan 2012. PSA was 22.1

PCA - 3 test performed also in Jan - Score was 11. Uro said that`s good.

Uro put me on antibiotic for 30 days and PSA is now 22.6. He also had a testosterone check done since I told him I had been feeling tired and the testosterone check came back as a 150 which he said is pretty low.

He said he would be reluctant to starting any treatment for the low testosterone without another biopsy which I am now scheduled to have performed next week.

I am really confused - I have read some places that low testosterone can cause PSA readings to increase. I have also heard that testosterone treatment can increase cancer cells.

Would appreciate anyone`s thoughts on my situation.

Thanks - Frank