View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: High PSA - negative biopsies - Low Testosterone - Connection ??

Hi Frank,

I wanted to tell you what I could about your questions...
Quote:
By that I mean if some kinda hormonal thing was going on in my system over that past couple of years could that have caused my PSA to shoot up?
It seems clear that normal levels of testosterone are required to keep healthy prostates healthy. Prostate cells have a large number of androgen receptors on them. Testosterone and DHT, another androgen, activates them. PSA is released by "sick" prostate cells, so you may be right that you don't have enough testosterone to keep them healthy.

Quote:
Or did my high PSA maybe cause my T level to drop ???
I'm not aware of any kind of negative feedback between high PSA and T. Men with very high PSA due to prostate cancer, BPH or prostatitis don't suffer drops in T levels, other than the drops that are age related.

Quote:
I should probably go ahead with another biopsy next week ?? I don`t really care for them.
I can't imagine why on earth you would have yet another biopsy now. It's like your urologist refuses to take yes for an answer. Drilling holes in your prostate is not a good strategy, imho. It seems to me a better idea to:
  1. rid yourself of the bladder stones.
  2. take a course of Cipro to get rid of any possible prostate infection you may have, possibly from punching holes from your rectum into your prostate.
  3. take Avodart or Proscar for 6 months to get rid of any BPH and establish a clean baseline PSA level
  4. monitor PSA, % free PSA and PCA3 after that.

Then, after doing all that, if your PSA is still rising, it's a good idea to get any one of the following kinds of biopsies:
  1. color doppler ultrasound or elastography guided biopsy
  2. multiparametric MRI guided biopsy
  3. saturation biopsy

In my opinion, it really isn't a good idea to keep punching random holes in your prostate. It creates scar tissue, can cause nerve damage that causes ED, and can cause serious prostate infections.

- Allen

Last edited by Tall Allen; 04-26-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo