Thread: I'm new. :-/
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
(male)

J10 HB User
I'm new. :-/

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with AD/HD - Combined on February 27, 2012. I have made realizations about myself and my behaviors throughout my entire life that have been profound, discouraging, depressing, humiliating, and humbling.

I also believe, although it is not confirmed, that I have a serious case of Codependency.

Admitting to, and identifying these things has been the single most important step I have ever made in my entire life. With as lost as these realizations have made me over the last 2 months, I decided I needed to try to find a support system outside of my psychiatrist (monthly visits) and psychologist (biweekly visits).

My psychologist says that I am also a "gifted" individual (educationally? mentally?) and that we gifted ADHDs need different therapy that others do not. Although, she has not elaborated on what exactly that means (at least not yet; or I can't remember that she did). If you have any insight into this please tell me.

My psychologist also suggested that I may have ODD. I have been to 2 therapy sessions and have been prescribed Adderal XR 30mg for the mornings, with an Adderall IR 20mg booster in the afternoons (both of which I forget to take about once every 3 days).

I found this message board when I searched for Adult ADHD and Codependency. I look forward to reading and learning about myself through your experiences, and through your advice on my experiences.

I placed an order on Amazon yesterday as soon as I found the item (impulsivity anyone?). lol. The book is called "Is it you, me, or adult ADD?". It seems to be highly recommended and a very realistic account of how ADD/ADHD affect other people in an ADHD person's life. The reviews are stellar, and with the awards that it has won I decided that it may just be the most important book I ever read. If any of you have insight into this book please let me know as well.

This intro to me is getting long so I will cut it short. One of these days I will put a full post about me and my story. Maybe some of you will be able to relate and give me advice about how to proceed.

I am at a point in my life where I feel hopeless, and helpless. I don't know what to do, where to go, or how to do any of it at this point. I hope that I can find encouragement and support within these virtual walls.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Have a splendid day!

-Jake

The following user gives a hug of support to J10:
Jasmine80 (05-03-2012)