Thread: Fistula
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
(male)

marineman HB User
Re: Perilymph Fistula

I have been following this board, and specifically this thread for a while now, but this is my first post. I went scuba diving Aug of 2011 and have had vertigo every second since, and a whole mess of other symptoms including anxiety, stomach fullness/upset, visual instability, brain fog, and some extreme total body fatigue. Caffeine, alcohol and physical activity all really mess with me. Sadly, since I like my sports and beer.

I've had about every test under the sun and the only one that showed anything was the ENG and whatever other vestibular tests were done on that gauntlet of a day, which showed a definite weakness in my left ear. Since it happened after diving, PLF has been suspected all along, but as you all know, it takes a while to get beyond that point so they send you to every doctor they can think of. I feel like a test rat, and it can be really discouraging at times.

I'm yet to find a medicine that helps. In fact, most just make me feel dumb while leaving all the symptoms. Herbs, etc have also failed to accomplish anything. I've been doing vestibular rehab therapy for months and I swear it makes matters worse. It seems the next step is surgery. For what it is worth, I'm a 29 year old male, 5'10 & 155 lbs, always healthy and athletic.

For those that have had it, did you have endoscopic ear surgery, or did they have to fold your ear? I know the later doesn't sound fun to me, so I'm definitely going to look for someone skilled in the endoscopic method. Either way, I hear the recovery isn't as bad as you may think.

I truly feel for all of you that are dealing with this. It is certainly not an easy thing to deal with, and I've thought more than once this would be the death of me. LOL. Hopefully we can all help each other out and all come out to enjoy light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by marineman; 05-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.