View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

caitlin22 HB User
2 year old displaying some signs of autistic spectrum disorders

Hello there,

New to this place, just seeking some help and advie from experts in this field i.e. parents of kids with autism/aspergers etc.

My daughter is 2.5 and lately i am concerned about her exhibiting a few signs/symptoms, but not all the ones listed when you research about these disorders. I will describe in more detail-

*She suffers from chronic constipation and more accurately, from stool withholding. This is probably the most severe symptom. She once went 2 weeks with no bowel movement.

*She has jerky hand movements akin to flapping when v excited, watching tv etc and also when holding in a bowel movement, she twists her hands and toes and walks on her tiptoes a lot but mainly when trying to hold in a poo.

*She spins in circles for long periods of time with her eyes turned sideways or closed. Not very frequently, maybe once every 2-3 days. Walks from room to room with eyes closed sometimes.

*She has for about a month been obsessive about closing all the doors in the house.

Engages in some repetitive behaviours but not very frequently i.e. will run around the garden in exactly the same direction every time, will find a lap at the jungle gym and not deviate from it.

She has a special 'blankie' that goes everywhere and is used for nap times/sleep times but i think this is mainly because she has made a little tunnel in between the stitching and she repeatedly puts her finger in/out of it, and finds it very soothing, she goes into a sort of a trance.

She does not often throw tantrums but they can be very head-turning when they happen... It is sometimes over small things...gets very emotional if her toy people won't stand up in a toy car or where she wants them to,... sometimes over the usual things ie leaving the park etc.

Her imaginative play is great, when she gets into the zone for it, her concentration is good, she is a genius at jigsaws and can complete up to 5 difficult ones in a row with little help, her memory and speech are pretty excellent.

She doesn't like lately to be too close even to me anymore, only rarely, but will ask to sit on special people's knees (nana, granda) has never liked kissing and still won't on the lips, only really lets us kiss her forehead, can't really hug back properly but does enjoy being hugged and snuggled by us when we grab her and go for it.

She is not intimidated by social situations and goes straight up to kids to make friends, and is so sweet to them. However they can often be intimidated by her forwardness and ignore/walk away or shout at her to go away, but she pays no attention and doesn't seem to notice/will carry on anyway. I 've noticed she usually singles out an older kid and follows them, not interested in peers the same.

I am a bit concerned about her eye contact too...she only makes it when really has to and it is never sustained for mre than a few seconds.

I want to add that she is very loved and given lots of affection and focused attention from us, and seems very happy.

Does this sound like normal kid behaviour or something i should be panicking about? I'm panicking anyway.

If anyne has any advice from their own experience or if any of this sounds familiar please let me know, i'm not sure what i should do next. Sorry for lengthy post- and if this has all been covered many times, i am just new here. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by caitlin22; 05-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.