Thread: I'm new. :-/
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm new. :-/

Hi, welcome to the board.

It is intense, being diagnosed with ADHD. Why do you also say you are codependent? Who is it that you think you have a codependent relationship with?

ADHD can affect many aspects of your life. It might help to set specific goals or identify specific areas of need. Are you in school? Do you have a job? Is ADHD causing issues at work or in school?

You mention that you forget to take your medication frequently. If you have a cellphone, you can probably program it with a daily reminder. Or, lower-tech, put a note on the door, or just leave the medicine next to something that you usually touch in the morning, like your toothbrush or hairbrush.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago, at age 19. Accurate diagnosis was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I now am so much better at dealing with life than I was before, but I still have issues and struggles.

Yes, being gifted with ADHD is a particular issue. Part of it is just growing up "knowing" that you should be doing better, you should be bringing home those straight As, but somehow you never get it together. Part of it may be that you've developed coping mechanisms that aren't the best.

However it happens, it's good to know that you have ADHD if it helps you understand yourself better.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jasmine80 (05-03-2012)