View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

oppy HB User
Broken left ankle

This is a first for me. I am 63 years old and have been blessed that I have only broken a finger and two ribs in my life. I missed three steps on a flight of stairs and broke my left ankle in three places - fibular twice and fractured my tibial. I had surgery six days after the accident with a plate and several screws placed in it. The doctor placed a surgical cast on it and told me that it could be up to three months before I can walk fully on it. (I am going nuts!"

Went back to see him this past Wednesday. He took out the stitches and placed me in an air boot. Told me to come back in six weeks (that will be eight weeks from surgery) and if I had progressed like the last two I could begin to place 25-50% wb on it. How do you place 25% weight on your foot?!

I have up unto this point had very little pain - UNTIL the first night with the boot. Woke up in the most pain and had to take a pain pill - hadn't done that since five days after the surgery. Anyway, experienced another of waking up in pain so I removed the splint portion of the boot, loosened it a bit, kept my foot propped up and went back to sleep. My doctor said I could remove it for bathing and while I sitting to air it out and begin slowly to excersie it. He even said that I can sleep without it in two weeks. Don't know about that. The idea sounds wonderful but the reality may not be.

Anyway, my air boot is by Ossur and my question is am I hurting my healing by keeping the splint off (secured otherwise) but the boot on when I am not up and about? I'm in full armour when ever I am up or moving around.

Thank you for any input!

Last edited by oppy; 05-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.