View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

momAJ HB User
Re: Recurring fevers, possibly started with strep

So the latest fever in this saga occurred 20 days from the 1st day of the previous fever as opposed to 17 which I had expected.

Unfortunately, this one lasted 3 days and was high all three days. I didn't do much in the way of measuring this one since I had tossed all the used thermometers and couldn't find the new ones.

After some new theories - such as there's something I didn't bleach that he came in contact with that was full strength - and much frustration and disappointment, I happened to have a conversation with a coworker and found out about a "holistic" treatment that can find various viruses and bacteria in the body. The practitioners prescribe herbal treatments. So I figured, why not give it a try.

Called up the practitioner and he gave me some recommendations. Xylitol is a natural herb, a sweetener that kills or reduces strep colonies. I googled it and got confirmation. He told me to purchase Xylitol toothpaste, mouthwash and nasal spray.

So I started thinking about it - we had switched my son from Orajel toothpaste a while back to Nature's Gate (I believe he may have tried a Tom of Maine's one first but that didn't last very long.) Nature's Gate has Xylitol. He used that for a couple months I think, then switched to a Kiss My Face toothpaste that also has Xylitol. I think the switch from Orajel happened in January. And that was the month he missed a fever.

He stopped using toothpaste either in April or March. After the March fever my previous post says.

So now I wonder if that's the variable that made a difference rather than bleaching. There are so many variables.

I have an appointment with the practitioner next week but it may get moved since his next fever will be close. Mouthwash, toothpaste and nasal spray are on order.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited by momAJ; 05-10-2012 at 06:56 PM.