View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

alexwilliamson HB User
Cancer-weary. What to do?

I'm a 25 year old woman living in Ontario, Canada. I've never had any severe health issues, but my older sister (age 28) recently went through a round of chemotherapy to treat her stage 1c ovarian cancer. I also recently lost my paternal grandmother due to complications brought on by breast cancer. Before my sister's diagnosis, I noticed that occasionally I would get my period twice within the same month. Though this has only happened a few times, I am still nervous because this is one of the symptoms that led to my sister's initial diagnosis with cancer. I also have been experiencing bouts of severe abdominal pain, which has been plaguing me for nearly 3 years. The pain begins in my lower abdomen and quickly radiates up to the area below my ribs and all across my back and shoulders. The first time this happened I was told that I was experiencing acute gastritis brought on by alcohol use. When I noticed that this pain began presenting itself even when I had not consumed any alcohol for weeks, I called my doctor again and was sent for an ultrasound, which I was informed came back negative for any abnormalities. I am three days late in my current menstrual cycle, and when I woke up this morning I was in tears, incapacitated with the abdominal pain I was experiencing.

I'm aware there is no real screening that can be done for ovarian cancer (aside from biopsy of the ovary), but I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. Should I continue to seek medical advice for this issue? I'm worried I will go through more testing only to be told that there is nothing wrong, but I simply cannot live without the peace of mind of knowing what is going on.

Thank you for any advice you guys can give me.

The following user gives a hug of support to alexwilliamson:
Adria8 (05-11-2012)