View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Grandparents looking after grandchildren.

A year and a half ago my husband and I were blessed to be the proud grandparents of 3 beautiful grandchildren. We love these kids to bits, they are everything but I'm not the healthiest, so feel run down and tired looking after them more than I expected to. I think I've been with them thru most of their flus, child diseases, teething and colic and what not. I've even caught some of the same illnesses and had down time.

Although it's not everyday, it's often, some days 10-11 hours per day. I'm not as young as I use to be and my joints hurt and my energy level after so many hours is exhausted. It's mainly myself who is the sitter as my husband is either working or getting on with his day.
When my children ask me to look after the grandkids, I cannot say no, I feel bad for them and too guilty to say no, like I'm a bad grandparent or something. It's catching up with me. Where does a grandparent draw the line? Why do some kids automatically assume that it's a grandparent's duty to look after their kids?