View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: About to have surgery & scared!

I know how you feel, I've been there. For me, the hardest part is always getting an IV. That's the part that actually scares me most about surgery. But once they get it in, I calm down a lot because that's such a traumatic thing for me.

I've had many surgeries and I still get scared beforehand every time. It's totally normal to feel that way. I'm not sure there's anything I can say that will make you less scared but a good thing to do when you get to the hospital is tell them you're panicked and ask for some Valium. They will give it to you and it will really help a lot.

Im sure you'll do fine, just keep in mind that these are routine type stuff that they probably do very often and it's not as severe as like heart or brain surgery. This shouldn't be any worse than your c-section and you got through that alright. Remember the Valium and try to take deep breaths, that always helps me calm down too. Good luck with your surgery!