View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: question for those here with pdoc/therapist

Hello tearsnfears.

I think of it more as suggestions than assignments, but yes, my therapist has given me ideas of what I can do between sessions. One such idea was to expand my support system. He suggested I spend some time with my sister as I had very little communication with her over the last few years. It turned out I really enjoy spending her time and I have more in common with her than with the rest of my family.

For me I think being given assignments I wasn't able to complete isn't much of an issue for me. If I think a particular idea is unrealistic or pointless, I tell him right then and there so I can get an idea that's practical for me. If I have a lousy week or something and I am unable to complete the assignment, I let him know and we move on from there.

I think what really helps is my therapist understands my perspective on things rather than just being a stranger who's trying to treat my depression.

Do you feel in the long-term this assignment will be beneficial for you? And do you feel your pdoc is giving you these assignments based on his understanding of you and what may work best for you or is he doing this more based on a by-the-book approach?

I think it all comes down to the nature of the relationship with your pdoc. If he behaves in a more authoritative or inflexible manner, I would doubt how beneficial these assignments would be for you. But if he listens and understands what you're saying I think these assignments would be worthwhile to complete if possible. If you don't complete this particular assignment I would say tell him the next time you see him and ask him for something else that would be more attainable for you.

Last edited by flamesabers; 05-16-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Grammar Error

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
tearsnfears (05-17-2012)