View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Does this mean I'm hypothyroid now?

Sorry to tell you this but, you were hypothyroid back in March.

Dosing for hyperthyroidism is always based upon the FreeT4 level with the goal of the patient taking the lowest possible dose that will maintain the FreeT4 level in the upper half of the range if not towards the high end of the range, regardless of TSH.

This means that, based upon your lab's ranges, your FreeT4 level should be maintained at least at 1.7 and probably closer to 2.1-2.2.

I suspect you have Graves' disease, the most common cause of hyperthyroidism - the Graves' antibodies skew TSH low and this isn't a concern. I also suspect that your doctor doesn't know this because he hasn't kept up with things (all-too-common with thyroid care).

This would explain why your dose wasn't lowered more back in March. Unfortunately, it seems your doctor also doesn't realize how effective anti-thyroid drugs are - otherwise he would have made sure to order labs for you in April to prevent you from dipping hypo.

Your slight blood count abnormalities are most likely due to your hypothyroid state (they're not really that much out-of-range).