Thread: Regular food
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Regular food

Definitely, my FIL has trouble swallowing. That is why he pocked his food in his mouth and takes longer to swallow the food. Now he takes an hour to be fed.
The NH said he is OK in the East wing so there is no fixed way to get him eat. As long as he can eat.

We observed him and fed him dinner in the west wing Sunday night. There are these patients who all need to be fed. No kidding, All residents there in the west wing have to be fed. The girls have to take turns to feed them. One guy was fed the last because he was playing with the chair/floor and whatever. When the girl fed him, the food was cold. It is sad. It is not one on one so the feeding is a bit here and there...
It is like a smaller dining area with the TV on. (The TV noise was quieter when they eat.) There are 6 tables (each for 4) around the TV area, and 2 more tables next to the nurse station. All 32 patients but not all of them there. There are 3 other families there trying to feed their elders.

Yea! The same guy that "hated" me came over again! Well the door in the west wing was not closed until 6:30pm. The guy came over after dinner with a walker to see what is going on. Yes he is really nosy. This time, he forgot about us. He did ask one caregiver how come you are here? He looked around and he found this lady who used to be in the East wing. He touched her cheek to make fun of her. At this point, the caregivers made him leave and closed the door of the wing behind him!! There was another guy who came over for drink as well (just excuse.)

My FIL still wanted to finish his regular food. He still loves the dessert but he demanded to finish his regular food. He did eat the dessert by himself sometimes, but he was choked by that since he had larger bit for desserts. He even yelled at me when I trie to feed him dessert while mashed potato was not finished yet... Now he no longer talks. He yells out "Ah" in anger. He did that when my husband tried to move his legs to the paddles and etc. He does not yell at others for the leg issue. I guess he thought when he saw us, he could just be a child and do anything he likes. He is mean to my husband at times. Yet he smiled at him Monday morning when we sat together for music. He does not like music that much anymore unless the music piece is famous.

He now does not like juice or water unless he has a mouthful of food.

Yes he does have swallowing problem and he takes longer to swallow. He knows he does not want the solid cookie or juice anymore. He just does not want to be choked.

Not sure what was wrong, but my FIL was a bit upset himself when we moved him out of the west wing after dinner to go back to the east side. Either he was upset by the sick patients in the west wing (most of them are like dolls that don't move a lot or move too much) or he was upset by being in the west side.
He was very alert Monday and then he forgot what was wrong. He does not walk or talk anymore and does not mind it. We can still tell that he still tries to be "normal" so he still does not fit the west wing for sicker people.

Maybe in 6 or 9 months, he will be more different. He has had swallowing problem since April given pureed food.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 05-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.