View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Panic attacks post stroke

Hello Tam, and I too welcome you to our family of stroke survivors.

I too have ended up with anxiety disorder following my 4 strokes 9 years ago now. I find mine seem to come at all different times, even in the middle of the night.

Although I am not a fan of medication, I have found that the best way to end the anxiety is a small dose of medication. My strokes left me with several major medical issues, including end stage kidney failure, heart attack, a few severe sleep disorders, and this darn anxiety.

I agree wholeheartidly with the others, who suggest to take your time in your healing. While your physical issues may seem over, your brain takes much longer to re-route all those blood supplies that have been lost, and to begin to function properly again. Some areas of your brain simply shut down, or a impaired until the blood supplies are back intact, sometimes taking months or even years.

Although it is many or our first responses to jump up and get back to life as we knew it, life after stroke is a new life, If your doctor does not approve you to take further time to recover, I would seek out another doctor. Doctors have very differant reactions to the needs of our emotional and other recovery. Just being able to move our arms and legs again does not signify total recovery.

Going back to work too early can lead to failure, which is not what you want or need. Taking the proper amount of time to recover is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

We are so happy you have found this pl;ace too. It continues to provide so many of us with support and the personal experiences of so many survivors. who understand it all. Since very few doctors practicing are stroke survivors themselves, they often cannot provide much of the information that you can find here. That is not to suggest that you should not always confer with your doctor, but this ia such a great supplement to your medical care.

Keep posting, and feel free to ask anything, we are here to help.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
tam335 (05-23-2012)