View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Brostrom (Ligament reconstruction) - Return to Work

Transitioning from cast to walking boot is very painful. I wouldn't go back to work too soon if you can help it. I've had 2 Brostroms and the first was 11 years ago and I was in a cast for 3-4 wks on crutches. I went back to work full time (also released by my doctor) in the boot on week 5. As an RN working s ICU, I was on my feet all day and I went back too soon. I had a lot of complications from it. I didn't mess up the surgery, but I had no PT and I had a LOT of pain and a TON of swelling (which contributed to the pain) for a long while after. Prolonged use of the boot because I couldn't move as fast without it and to help with pain. It was very difficult. The 2nd Brostrom I just had done on 2/22/12 (along with other stuff) and I was in a cast for 6 wks NWB and a boot for 3 wks and now still in a lace up brace and on week 7 of PT and things are going SO much better. I had a different surgeon though. First was general (mistake) and this last one is foot/ankle OS. I can't even begin to say how much better of a recovery this was. Now if I still worked outside the house, I would've felt good and safe to go back at 8 wks as long as I was in the boot. I still am dealing with swelling and some pain, but most is therapy related and not on the scale I dealt with after the first surgery! Good luck and let us know!