View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Can prolotherapy prevent hip resurfacing?

I have a good family friend who is a biophysicist. He recommends avoiding any type of implanted metal or plastic in the body, for as long as possible, because of the possibility of these substances leaching into the body.

Be aware that prolotherapy is not covered by most insurance programs. You might also look into whether an artificial synovial fluid injection (like Synvisc) may extend the life of your hip. I had Synvisc injected when the surgeon was aspirating the joint to look for signs of infection. I found that the injection lessened my symptoms for several weeks. By the time I had the injection, I had had a labral tear for almost 20 years and two hip scopes, so others might have longer lasting relief.

Depending on whether you still have good joint space, you could be a candidate for a hip scope. I had small holes in my acetabular cartilage, and had a microfracture performed with the goal of my body creating scar tissue cartilage.

I would certainly consult with several hip surgeons, including those that specialize in procedures other than replacement, before going through with a major surgery.