View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Looking for advice

Glad you liked my input...

With the NAC, I believe it is best to take it on a fairly empty stomach with a full glass of water. It shouldn't bother your tum at all and you can drop it right with your meds if you wish as it won't effect them either.

I like to take vitamin-C on an empty stomach too, as C can really increase iron absorption if taken with food, and iron has a tendency to build up in men over time.

If you're going to be stressing your liver for any length of time, it's best to keep track of your iron levels too with a "ferritin" (stored iron) test done with your liver enzyme tests.

High iron can contribute to liver damage too! The upper limit for the "normal" range for ferritin is set way too high, at 300 for men, but if you're stressing your liver, anything over ferritin of 80 to 100 can cause trouble.

High ferritin can be reduced through blood donation, or chelation with a supplement called "IP6", (inositol hexaphosphate) aka rice bran extract.

My interest in liver health occurred when I developed an iron overload from several decades of moderate alcohol consumption (alcohol increases iron absorption too). I had no idea how much iron build-up could stress out your liver, and it took me several years to discover what was going on and how to fix it.

Stay Healthy!

Last edited by BillinSD; 06-03-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: change of wording