View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Question Ankle replacement vs debridement, spur removal & peroneal tendon surgery

Hi. This is my first post, so Iíll give a brief account of my story and my current dilemma.

I am a 55 yo female with a bad right ankle. I was in a car accident at age 19 and broke my right ankle and right femur. I was put in traction for my femur for 6 weeks and had an ankle cast. No pins or internal hardware of any kind. Seems a bit barbaric now. I was then put into a hip spica cast for 6 more weeks. Ten years after the accident, I was diagnosed with traumatic osteoarthritis and bone spurs. I had ankle surgery to remove the spurs & thickened fascia and shave down the rough cartilage.

Skip ahead to now, 36 years after my car accident and 26 years after my last ankle surgery. I still have traumatic osteoarthritis and the bone spurs have grown back. I now also have a peroneal tendon that is out of place. It is too far forward and too loose. This causes quite a bit of pain on the outside of my right leg. The bone spurs are mostly located at the base of the tibia and they dig into my ankle and also cause pain. There is a spur on the inside ankle bone, too, but that one doesnít hurt very much.

Here is my dilemma. I am currently having quite a bit of pain just walking and need to do something. My choices are:

1) Do nothing and keep feeling pain.
2) Ankle fusion
3) Debridement, bone spur removal and peroneal tendon reconstruction
4) Total ankle replacement (STAR system)

I have eliminated number 1 & 2 because I have to do something and ankle fusion does not appeal to me at all.

I am going back and forth between doing the debridement route or getting a total ankle replacement. The doc told me if go with the debridement/bone spurs removal/peroneal tendon reconstruction, it would not be my last surgery. In other words, I would probably need an ankle replacement in 10 or so years. Iím concerned that the STAR system has not been around that long. Itís been done in Europe and Canada for 20 or so years, but only 3 or so years in the U.S. He also said there is more risk of developing osteoarthritis in the small bones around the ankle with the replacement system.

Iím looking to get one of these procedures done in the next couple of months, if I can last that long. This puppy hurts. I have a follow up appointment in 3 weeks and have lots more questions. One is ďHow many STAR replacements have you done?Ē

So what do you think? I thank you for any and all input!

The Following User Says Thank You to LabGimp For This Useful Post:
Fredel (09-05-2012)