View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Re: XELODA /capecitabine /

Hi October,
I can definitely tell you that life does return to normal. I am now 65, and had my surgery and cancer when I was 60. I was reasonable fit and active for my age. I went to the gym on a regular schedule, and still do. I think I had about 8 inches of colon removed with a stage 2 tumor. With your cea count being very good and it seems like it had only begun to spread to the lymph nodes I think you can definitely expect your quality of life to return to the level it was before your surgery with a very good prognosis. The Capecitabine does a good job of getting rid of any residue cells that may have escaped the surgery. 47 lymph nodes is a lot. I think I had about 30 removed and all were clear. If I had 47 they may have found something as well. My Doctor told me that they like to get a minimum of 12, but more is better so they take as many as possible. I think you probably already know that this type of cancer is curable with the 5 year survival rate being very high for stages 1-3. After 5 years it is considered cured. I am in Canada, but I am also an American from Texas, so my experience is as a Canadian citizen as well as a USA Citizen. I am familiar with both medical systems and I think the treatment protocols are exactly the same everywhere. My surgery was done laproscopically here in Vancouver and I was in the hospital for about a week. I found recovery was pretty easy and I was back to my normal life in a couple of weeks. The Capecitabine was not really a big problem and I did a 6 month program the same as the one you are on. I think about the same dosage which also was scaled down as some of the problems started to show up. I think you will find that you gradually return to feeling back into your normal life, both physically and mentally. I would tell you that the statistical survival rates for this type of cancer are always 5 years out of date, because they measure 5 years survival time. So you can think that your statistical odds are better than they say. I want to wish you the best of luck and assure you that the odds are on your side.
gwb

The Following User Says Thank You to gwb123 For This Useful Post:
oct.39 (06-06-2012)