View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Re: XELODA /capecitabine /

Hi October,
I can definitely tell you that life does return to normal. I am now 65, and had my surgery and cancer when I was 60. I was reasonable fit and active for my age. I went to the gym on a regular schedule, and still do. I think I had about 8 inches of colon removed with a stage 2 tumor. With your cea count being very good and it seems like it had only begun to spread to the lymph nodes I think you can definitely expect your quality of life to return to the level it was before your surgery with a very good prognosis. The Capecitabine does a good job of getting rid of any residue cells that may have escaped the surgery. 47 lymph nodes is a lot. I think I had about 30 removed and all were clear. If I had 47 they may have found something as well. My Doctor told me that they like to get a minimum of 12, but more is better so they take as many as possible. I think you probably already know that this type of cancer is curable with the 5 year survival rate being very high for stages 1-3. After 5 years it is considered cured. I am in Canada, but I am also an American from Texas, so my experience is as a Canadian citizen as well as a USA Citizen. I am familiar with both medical systems and I think the treatment protocols are exactly the same everywhere. My surgery was done laproscopically here in Vancouver and I was in the hospital for about a week. I found recovery was pretty easy and I was back to my normal life in a couple of weeks. The Capecitabine was not really a big problem and I did a 6 month program the same as the one you are on. I think about the same dosage which also was scaled down as some of the problems started to show up. I think you will find that you gradually return to feeling back into your normal life, both physically and mentally. I would tell you that the statistical survival rates for this type of cancer are always 5 years out of date, because they measure 5 years survival time. So you can think that your statistical odds are better than they say. I want to wish you the best of luck and assure you that the odds are on your side.

The Following User Says Thank You to gwb123 For This Useful Post:
oct.39 (06-06-2012)